Introduction and Methodology
The 2020 Domestic Stock Plan Administration Survey was developed jointly by the National Association of Stock Plan Professionals (NASPP) and Deloitte Consulting LLP (Deloitte Consulting) and administered from January 2020 to March 2020 by Deloitte Consulting using their survey tool, DeloitteDex.
Members of NASPP and Deloitte Consulting clients were invited to participate.
Last published in 2017, this survey provides a comprehensive look at the stock plan administration practices of companies, primarily headquartered in the United States ("U.S"), who provide stock based compensation to employees within the U.S. The survey on equity compensation design practices was last surveyed in 2019 and will be surveyed again in 2022.
The 2020 Domestic Stock Plan Administration survey includes more than 150 questions covering five areas and is one of the most comprehensive of its kind:
- Participant Profile
- Stock Plan Administration and Communication Practices
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Insider Trading Compliance
- Stock Ownership
Guidelines for this year’s survey include:
- Participants must have completed at least two sections of the survey to be included in the report. Multiple responses from the same company were eliminated; each company is presented in the database only once.
- We received 375 responses during the survey period (January 2020 to March 2020).
- The total number of companies that responded to each question is presented.
- Due to rounding, the total percentage of companies may not add up to exactly 100 percent for some questions.
- For some of the questions, we report the data by industry group or other demographic data (for example, number of employees).
Customized cuts of the data
Deloitte Consulting will make special cuts of the results available for an additional fee. If you are interested in your own customized cut of the data, please contact Joseph Rapanotti at email@example.com or Tara Tays at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Results from this survey are available to:
Discussion about survey findings is available in the following resources:
2020 Domestic Stock Plan Administraton Survey: Executive Summary (NASPP members only)
Webcast: Top Trends: Plan Administration, ESPPs, Ownership Guidelines, and Insider Trading Compliance (NASPP members only)
Podcast: Trends in Stock Administration Staffing and Practices
Podcast: Trends in Employee Stock Purchase Plans