Tax Return Reporting for Plan Participants: What You Need to Know & Communicate With Employees
Presenter: Bruce Brumberg, Editor-in-Chief and Co-Founder, myStockOptions.com
Description: This tax season will continue to bring confusion, uncertainty, and expensive mistakes in IRS forms and requirements, including cost basis reporting. The presentation will help you review the 2017 tax filings and improve communications with your employees to help them prevent mistakes in reporting stock sales from equity compensation. It will also review tax changes in Tax Cuts & Jobs Act that apply to individual taxation.
By attending this webinar session, you will learn about:
- Tax changes of importance to plan participants
- The 1099-B and its confusing aspects
- Reporting of stock sales on Form 8949 and Schedule D
- The most common questions asked by employees
- Costly mistakes made by employees related to tax return reporting of stock compensation
- Pitfalls that may cause unwanted IRS attention
- Key points to communicate with employees, including that tax reform does not impact income tax reporting for this tax season.
- Resources available, including the Tax Center on myStockOptions.com, and from various stock plan providers
This meeting is also available by webcast; details to be provided.